- Pick it up with your bare hands
- Leave it alone
- Scream like a little girl
If you chose any answer, other than #1, then you chose wisely. (However, answer #3 is only appropropriate, if, in fact, you are a little girl.) Before you pick up a centipede, any centipede, you should be aware of the following: centipedes bite. And are venomous. You have been warned.
Its scientific name of Scolopocryptops means "dead eyes." As you may therefore surmise, the Red Centipede doesn't have eyes. It doesn't need them. The Red Centipede lives its life in the dark beneath rocks and logs searching for its favorite food- earthworms.
The centipede is a very active and a very vicious little creature'. The usual
way of catching one is to seize it quickly with the fingers as soon as the stone
is turned over. In such a case, the centipede tries to bite, and frequently
succeeds. No poisonous effects, however, have ever been experienced by the
writer, who must have been bitten a hundred times.
You want to raise one as a pet? In the I Love the Web department- here is a message board entry describing breeding and raising these centipedes as pets: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-57312.html.